[XeTeX] Accessing individual Unicode characters

David Perry hospes.primus at verizon.net
Sat Oct 17 17:51:03 CEST 2009

No need for BabelMap (a great little utility, for those who don't know
it); just type the Unicode value directly using the hex input method on
Mac OS X (hold down OPTION and type the hex digits--if you have enabled
this input method, as you do with keyboards in the International
settings) or the alt-plus method in Windows XP or Vista (hold down ALT,
type the PLUS key on the numeric keypad, type the hex value on the
regular keys, let go of ALT--clunky but still faster than leaving your
document to fire up BabelMap or another utility).

I personally prefer to use a nice sans-serif font for editing since it
is easy to read on my LCD screen; the \char"XXXX method avoids the
little blank boxes that result when my editing font doesn't have
whatever unusual character I'm using in the document font.  Just a
personal preference . . .

David