[XeTeX] disabling xetex's default classes

Michiel Kamermans pomax at nihongoresources.com
Thu Oct 8 17:22:14 CEST 2009

Jonathan Kew wrote:
> The code that sets these up is in unicode-letters.tex, which is read
> during the creation of the default xetex and xelatex formats. You can
> easily write a loop that simply resets the classes of all the
> characters to 0, and override the \XeTeXinterchartoks commands in that
> file with null versions if you wish.
>
> (That code really should be updated to use \newXeTeXintercharclass and
> symbolic names, anyway....)
Ahh, that's going to be asking a bit too much from users I guess... I'm
updating my old fontwrap package, and making a new package
unicodecharclass in the process which assigns each unicode block its own
class number, counting down from class 240 (there's 167 blocks in
unicode at the moment, so that leaves 70 classes on the left, and a
handful on the right), but it might be that classes 0 through 3 could
interfere. By default I have the package now set up blank transition
rules, so things should be just fine, but if there had been a way to
'empty' classes 0 through 3 without editing files, that would have made
things safer =)

I'm not sure how this will behave in conjunction with polyglossia, since
that uses a decent number of classes too, but it seems like the number
of languages that supports is much lower than the 70 classes left
untouched by this package.

Has there been a 'ruling' on the \newXeTeXintercharclass concept? I read
up on the posts for it from last May, but it looked like there'd not
been any concrete decisions on what to do with it, just that it was a
pretty good idea (which it is =).

- Mike