[XeTeX] Bidi equation numbering

Vafa Khalighi vafa at users.berlios.de
Wed Oct 7 14:05:21 CEST 2009

> Thank you for your reply. Concerning the )I( appearance, Mehdi Omidali
> sent me a patch that fixed this, so that the parentheses now appear
> correctly.
>
> This is the patch:
>
> \makeatletter
> \def\equation{\beginL$$\refstepcounter{equation}}
> \def\endequation{\eqno \hbox{\@eqnnum}$$\endL\@ignoretrue}
> \def\@eqnnum{{\normalfont \normalcolor

Do not do that. That is not a patch. This is the part of the code from new
experimental version of bidi package but this will make trouble because in
v1.0.3, amsmath is loaded by defualt and that definition makes things
broken. In the newest version of bidi (experimental one), amsmath is not
loaded so that above definition fixes the issue of the placement of equation
numbers.

I tried the leqno option, but the equation number remained on the right.
> I found that this is caused by the patched equation environment
> definition. If I remove it, then the leqno option works, but then I also
>
> That is eaxctly one side effect of putting the above code in v1.0.3 as I
have explained above. Delete above code from your document, use leqno option
so equations appear on the left. About the )I(, I need to say that you need
to define your RTL font to be the \normalfont, otherwise that happens.

So if \hebfont stands for font of your hebrew document, then say
\let\normalfont\hebfont or something similar.

So what I still dont know is now to pick up the [leqno] flag to do it
> more elegantly than defining two separate equation environments.

No need for the codes, simply use bidi without adding extra codes, but
define your hebrew font to be your \normalfont and you should be fine.

> --
Vafa