[XeTeX] [off-topic] proper OpenType tag for hanging diacritics

Benct Philip Jonsson bpj at melroch.se
Wed Oct 7 13:54:52 CEST 2009

On 2009-10-07 John Was wrote:
> Great!  Very impressive.  Must dig out my Perl book...
>

> John

Thanks.  It would have been a lot harder without the
work done by the person(s) who wrote the
Unicode::Normalize module, the internals of which are
surely way above my head.  Being able to break up the
composite characters into something analysable is
key to it all!

/BP

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Benct Philip Jonsson"
> <bpj at melroch.se>

{\leavevmode \hbox to 0.2em{\hfill
> >> \char"1FDE\hfill}\char"0395}
> >>
> >> Thanks also for thinking that I was the one composing
> such beautiful
> >> texts. I wish I could ;-). I'm afraid I can't.
> >>
> >> I guess that your fix would take so much time as
> fixing the font itself
> >> (as it is released under the Open Font License).
> >
> > Not quite as much.  Since it's a repetetive task it's a
> > task for a computer, and so I couldn't resist the
> > temptation to write a Perl script which generates the
> > TeX code for the fix -- or at least the part of it
> > without the poetry conditional.  Since it was more
> > about how it could be done rather than actually
> > doing it I have checked the output only cursorily
> > and not tested it at all.  I put the width of the
> > \hbox in a new dimen, so that one can change that in
> > only one place.  Hope I did it right and that it works!
> > Time wasted: 20 min! ;-) Script and output are below.
> >
> > /BP
> >
> > #!/usr/bin/perl
> > use strict;
> > use warnings;