[XeTeX] fontmap warnings (on TexLive 2009)

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Tue Oct 6 16:37:35 CEST 2009

Am 06.10.2009 um 10:26 schrieb Steven Woody:

> My result:
>
> $ grep labm3583 $(kpsewhich pdftex.map)
> labm3583 SFBM3583 "T2AEncoding ReEncodeFont" <cm-super-t2a.enc
> <sfbm3583.pft frummt <frummt.pfb
> labm3583 SFBM3583 "T2AEncoding ReEncodeFont" <cm-super-t2a.enc
> <sfbm3583.pfb
>
> And, I think I don't get it. Why my result is differ with yours?

Some failure happened some time when the MAP files were created from
their fragments. The labm3583 font entry comes from the cm-super-
t2a.map MAP file fragment, possibly in the /usr/local/texlive/2008/
texmf-dist/fonts/map/dvips/cm-super directory. The frummt font entry
is from the allrunes.map MAP file fragment, possibly in the /usr/
local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/fonts/map/dvips/allrunes directory.

The cure is quite simple: renew the MAP files! This can take many
minutes and during this time you should not run TeX (and no-one else
on this computer!), so you best should leave for lunch. The command is:

	sudo -H updmap-sys --disable allrunes.map && sudo -H updmap-sys --
enable MixedMap=allrunes.map

The sudo command on your PC may take other parameters, it might be
that it does not work and you'll have to use su.

The first 'disable' command will already rebuild the defective MAP
files. If you can live without the mappings for rune fonts, the
second command can be left out. You can also disable any other MAP
file fragment. 'updmap --listmaps' will show all MAP file fragments
known to updmap/updmap-sys.

We don't know yet what the output of 'kpsewhich pdftex.map' is. If
it's a pathname like /usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-var/fonts/map/
pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map then the command line given above is
correct. If it contains something like /home/<your login
id>/.texlive2008/..., then you are using a set of private MAP files.
Their cure is:

	updmap --disable allrunes.map && updmap --enable MixedMap=allrunes.map

No sudo, no su, no -sys. Again, the first command will already cure
your installation and you can disable (or enable) any other MAP file
fragment.

--
Greetings

   Pete

There is no national science just as there is no national
multiplication table; what is national is no longer science.
				– Anton Checov