[XeTeX] hyphenating words with hyphen

Vadim Radionov vadim.radionov at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 12:12:08 CEST 2009

Thanks to everyone,

I'm aware of the default habit of TeX concerning hyphenation of words
with hyphen, and less of English typography tradition; i typeset
mostly in Russian. (I briefly looked through Chicago Manual of Style
and had not found this certain rule; generally, they mention many
times that these typography rules are not rigid ones.)

And I know several workarounds (thanks everyone again) -- using
explicit \-, babel-style shorthands "= or command instead of hyphen.

I'll specify my question: Can it be done with \XeTeXinterchartoks (and
without altering the main text)?  In my example, why there exists a
breakpoint before the hyphen?

Yours,

Vadim