[XeTeX] Bidi equation numbering

Vafa Khalighi vafak84 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 11:29:20 CEST 2009

> I have a problem with the equation environment using bidi.sty. The
> attached source and PDF output should show the problem. The equation
> number appears one the right side of the page, even when working RTL,
> and it appears as )I( .

Can you send a minimal example that I can try and understand the issue you
are talking about. I believe there are things in RTL that reversing them
does not make sense. One example is equation numbers. In a normal LaTeX
document, equation numbers appear on the right and if you use leqno option,
they appear in the left. This should be absolutely unchanged whether you are
in RTL mode or in LTR mode. Now if you define your fonts correctly, equation
numbers as in your )I( example, should appear correctly.

Underneath these equation, is an example of how I shold what it to
> appear (ie, with the number left  justified, and with the parentheses
> correctly placed.

I do not agree with the equation being on the left. I believe, it should be
on the right. I actually think if the equation numbers with defualt settings
were on the left, then it would be really funny, what would you then call
leqno (so equations appear on the right as your taste shows)?

So if you like to have equations on the left, use leqno option.

Also, note what happens to the English sentence in the RTL mode. The
> sentence should read "We now insert an equation, still under setRTL."
> However, I assume that the correct thing to do is to switch to setLTR
> before this sentence if I want itto be set correctly.
>
> I do not understand your point here. In RTL mode, we typeset from right to
left and in LTR mode, we typeset from left to right. If you need short LTR
insertions in RTL mode use \LRE{} and if you need short RTL insertions in
LTR mode, then use \RLE{}. In bidi, we make documents RTL or LTR by using
the \everypar primitive. For more details look at XeTeX companion. You also
can use grouping like:

 {\setRTL

This is a sentense that appears RT.}

This is a sentense that appears LTR.

That blank line is vital to have.

If you still think there is an issue, send a minimal example used two fonts
in it, one for Hebew and one for English and then I will look into it to see
if there is anything for me to investigate. But I think, you should have no
problem.