[XeTeX] OpenType fonts in Linux?

Kārlis Repsons karlis.repsons at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 11:23:47 CET 2009

On Sunday 29 November 2009 22:02:34 Arthur Reutenauer wrote:
> > Strange, Gentium? I was only able to download ttf fonts from SIL website
> > [1]! Looked for OT, but archives contained just *.ttf and *.TTF... How
> > come?
>  The most prominent difference (but by far not
>  the only one) between the two traditional formats is the way glyph shapes
>  are described: TrueType uses quadratic Bézier curves, PostScript uses
>  cubic ones.
But I'm still not sure about the description in OT font, which is described as
TT! (2 || 3) (b-splines || Bézier)? (My math background makes me curious)

If the following is right, wikipedia and you mislead me:

On Monday 30 November 2009 00:27:20 Adam Twardoch (List) wrote:
> TrueType-flavored OpenType aka OpenType TT aka OpenType TTF
..
> store
> outlines using 3nd-order B-splines

Wikipedia:
"TrueType outlines use quadratic Bézier splines." without any referencing of
that image and comment..