[XeTeX] OpenType fonts in Linux?

Mike Maxwell maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
Mon Nov 30 02:38:55 CET 2009

David Perry wrote:
> I am working on a book about fonts and related issues...

One of my pet peeves about fonts is that rarely can you discover
(without obtaining the font) what the complete set of Unicode characters
covered is.  (The DejaVu fonts are one of the worst offenders.)

Coverage of the Arabic block, for example, often stops short of the
special characters used for languages like Pashto, but you won't easily
discover that for many fonts.  Similar, I'm sure, is the coverage of
conjunct characters in Indic scripts.  Even the coverage of IPA
characters is not always documented.

That said, I suppose a book is not the best way to present such
information, as for many fonts the coverage is (hopefully!) growing.

Is anyone aware of a site where one can find out about the Unicode
coverage of individual fonts?  The www.wazu.jp site provides some
information, but I'm not sure how up to date it is (the link for
information on the arabtype.volt.ttf font was for instance broken as of
over a year ago).
--
    Mike Maxwell
    What good is a universe without somebody around to look at it?