[XeTeX] OpenType fonts in Linux?

lyx-devel at oak-tree.us lyx-devel at oak-tree.us
Sun Nov 29 17:57:51 CET 2009

Hi Kārlis,

I can't comment on the advanced use of the fonts, as most things I do are rather pedestrian.  However, Zapfino and the other commercial fonts shown on the cited webpage are licensed with Mac OS X.  If you own and use a Mac, you might be able to export them from fontbook for use on your other computers.  However, many of them are also included in the Adobe Font Folio.  A number of years ago, I was able to purchase a copy of the font folio from my University Book Store for about a hundred dollars.  The CD contains *thousands* of fonts, and it's one of the best purchases I've ever made.  If you work for a University or you're a student, it might be worth seeing if you can qualify for the same discount.

Re: Linux and fonts.  Linux has full support for OpenType and TrueType fonts. What it lacks by default, however, is a default font manager (like FontBook on the Mac or the built-in fonts pane of the Control Panel for Windows).  Luckily, however, there are several good font managers available from the repositories.

On Ubuntu, I like FontMatrix (http://fontmatrix.net/).  However, you can also install Fonty Python, which seems to work just as well.

Using XeTeX from Linux is the same as using it from Mac (be sure to install the texlive-xetex package).  I use both operating systems and I've never had any cross-platform problems whatsoever.

Cheers,

Rob Oakes