[XeTeX] OpenType fonts in Linux?

Kārlis Repsons karlis.repsons at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 15:33:00 CET 2009

And here I am again:

I became tempted to set up some really good and appropriate fonts for each
part of my works (think normal text, footnotes, sections etc). In [1] you can
see someone demonstrating things like kerning, ligatures and various styles of
the same font (Zapfino - is that one supposed to be "for free" for mac users?
Some people, as I found it, want 230eur for a download in net!). In those
cases I see lines like:

\fontspec[Ligatures={Common}]{Adobe Garamond Pro}
\fontspec[Variant=7]{Zapfino}

or for transparent characters, which overlap:
\fontspec{HoeflerText-Italic}
{\addfontfeature{Color=00FF0044, Scale=4, Alternate=1}Q}\kern-4ex
{\addfontfeature{Color=FF000033, Scale=8, Alternate=1}Q}\kern-8ex
{\addfontfeature{Color=0000FF22, Scale=16, Alternate=1}Q}\kern-16ex
}

When I try this kind of things, they just don't work because my TT fonts don't
support it. So I need OpenType or AAT, but those are currently a land of
confusion for me. Before I dive into long texts about them, I'd like to read
some short reflections about their obtaining and use on Linux and with XeTeX!
(As system fonts / something else)

Also it would be very nice, if you posted some URL which explain about setting
text-type <=> font+spec. relations as noted above! Actually some well
explained opinion about those choices is also my interest.

[1] http://nitens.org/taraborelli/latex