[XeTeX] How to make some pdf with xetex from commandline?

Wilfred van Rooijen wvanrooijen at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 29 02:50:52 CET 2009

When using Kile, it is likely that the default built-in command to compile a .tex to .pdf is either pdftex or pdflatex. Thus the xelatex is not used.

1. Make a simple test.tex file. Make sure it has some xelatex-specific commands and/or packages, so use \usepackage{fontspec} or something similar. Then open a terminal and run

name at computer > xelatex test.tex

2. If that succeeds, try the same from Kile or other "front end" you want to use. If that fails, then you know that xelatex is not being used.

I don't know Kile, but I use gedit + latex plugin, which allows to set up customized compilation chains, so I made my own setup with a special short-cut for xelatex. I think the same is possible in any other "tex-capable" editor.

See you,
Wilfred