[XeTeX] Slightly embarrassed.... why does \newfontfamily not do what I expect?

Michiel Kamermans pomax at nihongoresources.com
Fri Nov 20 10:42:51 CET 2009

Wilfred,
> I am trying to use \newfontfamily to set a document with some Japanese characters. I use:
>
> \newfontfamily\cjkfont{Kozuka Mincho Pro-VI}
> \cjkfont
>
> When I do so, the text is rendered in Kozuka Mincho Pro, but the CJK characters are not present. When I say:
To my knowledge, the font family name is just "Kozuka Mincho Pro"
without an explicit weight indicator, and the individual fonts are
called "Kozuka Mincho Pro X" where X is the weight factor (either 'I'
through 'VI', or 'EL' through 'H'). You can tell fontspec to use a
particular weight version for bold, but you might want to try what I do,
which is just:

\newfontfamily\cjkfont{Kozuka Mincho Pro}

this works fine for me, even though the individual font names are
'Kozuka Mincho Pro EL' through 'Kozuka Mincho Pro H'. It will pick the
regular weight for normal text, and the appropriately heavy version in
section headings.

- Mike