[XeTeX] xelatex + babel and / or polyglossia for Japanese

Wilfred van Rooijen wvanrooijen at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 20 02:39:36 CET 2009

As a follow up to my own post, I found two files:

gloss-japanese.ldf

and

gloss-nihongo.ldf

I put these into my working directory and use

\usepackage{polyglossia}

\setdefaultlanguage{japanese}

The file gloss-japanese.ldf is found and loaded, there is a message from polylossia about missing hyphenation patterns, and then for some reason METAFONT is called to make a font named '', which fails.

I think it has something to do with the \japanesefont setting in gloss-japanese.ldf but I would appreciate advise from an expert on how to solve this. I am getting a bit confused with all the settings in all the files (xetex setting, fontspec settings, polyglossia settings...).

BTW the gloss files for polyglossia are at:

http://www2.math.kyushu-u.ac.jp/user/index.php?iwase%2Fitoniki0

and they look rather bona fide to me.

Cheers,
Wilfred