[XeTeX] spotcolor.sty and XeLaTeX

Brian C. Ladd drbcladd at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 01:44:53 CET 2009

(1) All the specifics -- I will be honest, there are not that many
specifics:

I have a document using black and tints of a single rgb color. I worked in
the rgb colorspace but I made sure that I only worked with blends of white
and/or black with my color.
The publisher now says they want separations for the black and the spot
color. I matched my color, as best I could, with PMS colors as PMS 1805 and
started looking at my toolchain. I have PDF images included into the the
document (created with Inkscape) along with some PNG graphics (created with
the GIMP). The graphics are also limited to the same tints used in the
LaTeX.

I am comfortable with producing PDF and then using a PDF specific tool to
produce the separations. The problem I have right now is defining a spot
color (so that the colors are defined as real tints of the one spot color).
The spotcolor package from CTAN is promising but it is designed to work with
pdflatex. Thus \pdfobj, \pdfobjref, and \pdflastobj are giving me problems.

I am using texlive 2008 (dowloading 2009 as I type). To be honest, I am such
a newb at understanding XeLaTeX that I didn't know what graphics driver I
should be specifying. I am also learning, slowly, where in the tex directory
tree, that all the goodies are supposed to live.

I am happy to admit that I don't even know what more specifics you want to
know. I am a competent programmer and I can find my way around documentation
and I am not afraid of LaTeX or PostScript. I am trying to understand the
special PDF objects being created in spotcolor so that I can teach
spotcolor.sty to play well with XeLaTeX. I would then happily share it with
the world to help others who want to create a named color inside of a PDF
document constructed with XeLaTeX.

If there are other specifics I can provide, I am happy to comply.
-bcl