[XeTeX] newbie umlaut problems

Michael zontalmike at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 19 20:45:45 CET 2009

Wilfred,

No, you're right, vim does default to utf-8 on my system.  The problem
was that my XeTex source file was created by a Perl script I wrote,
which gets its input from a MySQL DB.  My Perl script hadn't been
handling the encoding/decoding correctly, and was writing latin1
output.  And then I just continued to edit this file, which had been
created by Perl, as I was tinkering with XeTex.

Indeed, if I open a new file in Vim in Ubuntu, 'fileencoding' is utf-8.

-Michael