[XeTeX] Issue with CJK in pdf build

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 19 01:40:56 CET 2009

On 19 Nov 2009, at 00:15, Wilfred van Rooijen wrote:

> Check the fontspec-manual. The command \setmainfont does not set all
> the other fonts accordingly.

However, \setmonofont will let you choose what LaTeX should use as the
monospaced/typewriter font.

(And there's \setsansfont for the sans-serif family, if your document
includes elements that use that.)

> Also note that by using a \setmainfont you are likely to lose a lot
> of italic, emph, boldface etc which are normally handled inside TeX
> by implicitly changing to another font. Personally I have yet to
> find a completely satisfactory solution for this issue.

If the font (family) you specify has bold and italic faces, fontspec
should normally configure these automatically. However, many CJK fonts
come as single faces, so this cannot work for them.

> So if anybody knows how I can set my font for instance to the Kozuka
> Mincho and still have boldface in my References, please let me
> know :-))

There are fontspec options -- see the documentation -- that let you
specify explicitly what should be used for bold, italic, and bold-
italic variants.