[XeTeX] Issue with CJK in pdf build

Wilfred van Rooijen wvanrooijen at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 19 01:11:57 CET 2009

Hi,

> Yes - although as a user of a tool chain I'm not sure I
> should have to
> worry about the customization of each separate component.
> And since it's
> been trial and error four hours a night for the last ten
> days or so, I'm
> not even learning anything.

But it seems that the problem is that the toolchain uses TeX, and when used in the toolchain, TeX is not configured for the full 100%, and thus strange things happen. I guess we can discuss whether the toolchain is at fault or the user.

It may well be that in earlier days, when a PC was set up for a certain encoding, for example a "Russian-capable" PC in Russia, a "Thai-capable" computer in Thailand, etc, and that this kind of issue of mixing character-types was much less of a problem, because it didn't really exist unless specifically requested.

You seem to expect that TeX (or other tools) will revert to "reasonable defaults". However, the philosophy of TeX (and many other computer languages) is that there is no reasonable default. TeX provides "expert level" typesetting. Consider TeX like a Formula-1 car: very powerful, but really only applicable if driven by someone who knows what they're doing. In the case of the toolchain, using TeX may be overdoing things a bit?

See ya,
Wilfred

      Get your new Email address!