[XeTeX] Issue with CJK in pdf build

Chris Jones cjns1989 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 22:10:49 CET 2009

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 06:54:40AM EST, Michiel Kamermans wrote:

> Hi Chris,

>> Apart from the fact that I have no clue how I should go about doing
>> that, I would assume that having a few CJK characters (or other
>> non-ASCII stuff) inside a US English document is not something so
>> outlandish that other users have not run into this problem before me
>> and that such a package is already available (tested, stable,
>> maintained).

> Basically the concept is not that you have "a few CJK characters" in your
> document, but that you have "characters that don't exist for your font",
> be they CJK or Byzantian musical symbols. As a typesetter, TeX now wants
> you to do your job and tell it what it needs to do with these characters.

Yes - although as a user of a tool chain I'm not sure I should have to
worry about the customization of each separate component. And since it's
been trial and error four hours a night for the last ten days or so, I'm
not even learning anything.

> For instance, to keep things CJK, I just wrote a book on Japanese grammar
> using xetex, but xetex only knows what you tell it to know, so I have to
> tell it which fonts to use for which characters. In general, forgetting to
> do this leads to two problems: 1) not specifying which font to use means
> (any version of ) TeX will use its default font, which might be a
> different font on different machines, and thus your output will differ
> depending on which computer you run it on. That is bad, because the idea
> is supposed to be that a TeX document looks identical regardless of which
> machine you compile it on. 2) Even if it picks the same default font on
> all machines, that font might be missing the Unicode glyphs you use in
> your text Some fonts don't even carry the ASCII table, so things can
> really go horribly, horribly wrong if you're not explicit about what TeX
> should do, fontwise.

Fair enough.

> Luckily, if you can include a style file, then things become very easy,
> so let's just make one: make a file called "mystyle.sty", and in that
> file stick the following text:
>
> \ProvidesPackage{mystuff}
> \usePackage{fontspec}
> \setmainfont{The Font You Want Used}
> \endinput

OK.

Here's mine:

%%
%% Trying to specify a Unicode font
%%
\ProvidesPackage{mystyle}
\usePackage{fontspec}
\setmainfont{Arial Unicode MS}
\endinput

$ dblatex -V -d --texstyle ~/.dblatex/mystyle/latex/mytexstyle.sty unicode.xml

ends with a catastrophic error - /tmp/tmp..../unicode_tmp.log and
DocBook input unicode.xml attached to this message.

But.. the error does not appear to be related to fonts but rather to
incorrect or unavailable page layout latex statements (and in the light
of my initial remark at the beginning of my reply, that's where problems
start cropping up: I would need to 'merge' my style with the one that
dblatex provides rather than replacing it)

Actually, I'm getting somewhere since a malformatted .pdf file does get
built in the tmp directory and it does render correctly the Greek, the
arrows, box drawing, and a couple of wingdings.

I repeated the experience with 'gnu unifont', which has a glyph for
every character in the BMP, and it displayed every glyph from my input.

[..]

> When you've settled on a font, you can then indicate this "mystyle.sty"
> file as being the style you want included when running dblatex, using
> "dblatex --texstyle mystyle (rest of your arguments)".

Is there any way I could ask dblatex to merge mystyle.sty with its
default style, overriding the default fonts instead of replacing it?

> Of course, this applies the same font to all your text, which is good,
> because that's what you told TeX to do. If instead you want automatic
> font switching, with one font for ASCII (or, strictly speaking, Latin)
> and another for CJK, then you'll need to stick in some more code in your
> style file to effect this, and things get more complicated (but if you
> like I can explain how to get that to work using an excellent feature in
> XeTeX, called intercharclasses, which makes life quite a bit easier if
> you need character-based fontswitching).

Oh, no .. this is just quick and dirty pdf creation and GNU/unifont is
just fine. The current lack of quality of the content of these short
documents makes it unlikely that they will ever be published at least in
their present form. Therefore quality typesetting is not one of my
concerns.

> Hope that makes things a bit more understandable!

Proof of the pudding..!

Thank you for your comments.

CJ