[XeTeX] section styling breaks with sections, intercharclasses and fontspec

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sat Nov 14 00:56:05 CET 2009

Am 14.11.2009 um 00:26 schrieb Michiel Kamermans:

>> A different approach is one with declaring \cjkfont as a font of
>> four variants (can also be a set of four completely different fonts):
> Not quite sure what you meant there, since I can't really tell the
> difference between the three commands you listed.

I was quietly suggesting to use four different fonts, four fonts from
different families. Because CJK fonts (never?) have italic variants.
Artificially slanting them might be an option...

> The first and last seem identical?

Not exactly. The first one uses four variants of Hiragino Mincho Pro
(kind of serif) while the last uses Hiragino Kaku Gothic Pro (kind of
sans serif) for the italic variants, so that you would see an
obviously different shape.

> At any rate, I tried this for the Kozuka Mincho Pro fonts

 From Adobe Reader? (I think these don't have other font variants
than regular.)

> by specifying:
>
> \newcommand{\cjkfont}{\setmainfont[BoldFont={* H}]{Kozuka Mincho
> Pro}}% bold is the 'heavy' variant
>
> but this doesn't really do much. Without the accolades around the
> Japanse, the Japanese still breaks the section formatting (and
> doesn't show up bold for that matter).

Right. The CJK insert kind of resets the font settings in the
surrounding environment. By grouping/separating it with {} this bad
influence is at least limited.

--
Greetings

   Pete