[XeTeX] problem getting small caps

Mike Maxwell maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
Mon Nov 9 03:30:10 CET 2009

Will Robertson wrote:
> \setmainfont [
>    ExternalLocation=/Users/will/Fonts/Vera/,
>    BoldFont=VeraBd.ttf,
>    ItalicFont=VeraIt.ttf,
>    BoldItalicFont=VeraBI.ttf,
>  ] {Vera.ttf}

Yes, that's it!  Thanks to all!

On a related topic, the SIL web page for v4.102
(http://scripts.sil.org/cms/SCRIPTs/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=CharisSIL_versions)
says
    This font fixes a bug which was in version 4.100: In InDesign and
    XeTeX (and probably any other application which uses true small caps)
    the OpenType small cap feature will not work properly, nor will any
    application-specific fallback mechanism. This release fixes it so
    that the fallback mechanism will work.
It's unclear to me whether version 4.106 (the latest version) actually
provides *true* small caps (as was apparently the original intention in
4.100), or whether it's still using a "fallback mechanism."  How can I tell?
--
    Mike Maxwell
    What good is a universe without somebody around to look at it?