[XeTeX] problem getting small caps

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Nov 7 17:21:26 CET 2009

On Nov 7, 2009, at 9:52 AM, Mike Maxwell wrote:

> Ulrike Fischer wrote:
>> You can use  \XeTeXtracingfonts=1 to get the path of the fonts xetex
>> finds and uses in the log.
>
> Thanks--that tells me it's using the slightly older version of the
> Charis SIL font, but that version still claims to support small
> caps. (I also discovered that someone created both a ttF/ and a ttf/
> subdir under /usr/share/fonts, but the contents appear to be
> identical.)
>
> Let me try a different way to get at this problem.  I'd like to try
> using \fontspec to load some font that I know has small caps.
>
> If I don't use \fontspec{Charis SIL}, xelatex picks some default
> font, and small caps work.  So I thought maybe I could explicitly
> tell \fontspec to load that font.  But afaict, the log file (with
> font tracing turned on) doesn't tell me what this default font is.
> There's something about 'eu1lmr', but that doesn't appear to be an
> actual font.
>
> Can anyone tell me what the xelatex default font is, and where
> the .ttf file is in the texlive distro?
> --
>   Mike Maxwell
>   What good is a universe without somebody around to look at it?
>   --Robert Dicke, Princeton physicist

Howdy,

I think fontspec uses Latin Modern as its default font unless you use
the [cm-default] when it will use Computer Modern.

Attached is a xetex file that gives the OT-features xetex ``sees''. I
had to update my Charis SIL to get it to show the small caps and,
indeed, compiling your file gives me small caps.