[XeTeX] [dm-l] Junicode font, version 0.6.16

Peter Baker psb6m at virginia.edu
Sun May 31 20:18:03 CEST 2009

This is the first new release of Junicode, the font for medievalists
(and others), since 1977.

This release contains fixes of several bugs, improved coverage of the
Medieval Unicode Font Initiative (MUFI) character set (though this is
not yet complete). Most of the medievalist Unicode characters recently
added in Latin Extended D and other ranges have been added. Many of
these were already in the Private Use Area; the PUA characters remain
for now, but users should begin to adopt the new, more standard
encodings. The regular face currently contains 5870 glyphs; the italic,
bold and bold italic faces are much less complete, though an effort is
being made to make the italic face match the regular where appropriate.

The design of several glyphs has been revised; those who prefer the old
design should turn on "Style Set 9" in an OpenType-aware application.

On the technical side, OpenType support has been improved and extended.
TrueType instructions have been supplied for all glyphs: these are a mix
of "auto-hints" added by FontForge and instructions written by hand.

There are still feature requests that I have not gotten to yet; I'll
work on these for the next release.

Junicode is a SourceForge project: get it at
http://junicode.sourceforge.net/. By request, the current version has
also been uploaded to CTAN; I'm not sure how soon it will be available
for download there.

Best wishes to all,
Peter Baker

Digital Medievalist --  http://www.digitalmedievalist.org/
Journal: http://www.digitalmedievalist.org/journal/
Journal Editors: editors _AT_ digitalmedievalist.org
News: http://www.digitalmedievalist.org/news/
Wiki: http://www.digitalmedievalist.org/wiki/
Discussion list: dm-l at uleth.ca