[XeTeX] XeTeXuseglyphmetrics

Yue Wang yuleopen at gmail.com
Wed May 27 10:05:26 CEST 2009

2009/5/27 Ulrike Fischer <news3 at nililand.de>:
> Am Tue, 26 May 2009 17:50:17 +0200 schrieb SUN Wenchang:
>

>> For the font primitive \XeTeXuseglyphmetrics, it is explained in
>> XeTeX-reference.pdf that
>
>>> Counter to specify if the height and depth of characters are
>>> taken into account while typesetting (≥ 1). Otherwise (< 1), a
>>> single height and depth for the entire alphabet is used.
>
>> Is it possible for this primitive to take the real width of
>> characters into account? If yes, it would be helpful to set
>> margin kerning (and much more) for Chinese punctuation
>> characters.
>
> I don't understand the question. The width of a char is always
> taking into accout during typesetting. "iii" has another width than
> "mmm" for a proportional font. But in general it is not really
> needed to check for each char if it is touching a chars on another
> line.

But in CJK font this is different, every font can be treat as "mono".
However for professional typesetting, we should compress the
punctuation mark (which is still 1em in width).
Different fonts have different styles/positions of punctuation marks.
It is important to get the actual position (bounding box) of
punctuation marks in order to calculate (not estimate, we can only
estimate now....) the exact compressing width.