[XeTeX] lacking precomposed character

Yves Codet ycodet at club-internet.fr
Tue May 19 09:44:53 CEST 2009

Hello.

Le 18 mai 09 à 15:58, jadolov k a écrit :

> Hi to all,
> What I need to obtain is a certain character with the macro sign
> above it (namely, a schwa with a macron, that serves to the
> transliteration needs for Ancient Indonesian). However, the Unicode
> standard lacks a precomposed entry for that character. Still, with
> the package Xunicode I can use the command \= to add a combining
> unicode compliant macron sign to any character (can't I?). The
> problem is that the font I use (Minion Pro) does not have a good
> combining macron glyph. Therefore, when I write
> \={<something_strange>} I obtain only this <something_strange>
> followed by a null character instead of being "covered" with a macron.

Sorry if the following remark is silly. To avoid such difficulties,
you might consider using a better font (better for what you want to
do). As far as I could see, Charis SIL can combine any letter with any
diacritic, and can stack diacritics as is shown in the second (and
meaningless :) example below.

It's available here:

http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=CharisSILfont

Best wishes,