[XeTeX] Indent a block of text

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun May 17 20:34:52 CEST 2009

On May 17, 2009, at 11:23 AM, zhu qun-ying wrote:

> Thanks, that is great!
>
> quote or quotation has indent on the right also. I would only like
> the indent to be at the left only.  It there a parameter could
> change that behavior?
>
> Thanks!
>
>> Howdy,
>>
>> Since TeX doesn't set a paragraph until it's complete you
>> must leave a blank line or use \par between the last
>> paragraph in the test to be indented and the closing brace,
>> `}'.
>>
>> By the way would the quotation (with first line
>> indentation) or quote (without first line indentation but
>> extra spacing between paragraphs) do the job for you?
>>
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Herb Schulz
>> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

Howdy,

Does

\newenvironment{BlockIndent}{\list{}%
     {\setlength{\listparindent}{\parindent}%
      \setlength{\itemindent}{\listparindent}}%
      \item[]\relax}
{\endlist}

do the job? It does put some vertical space before and after the
environment. It is based on the definition of the quotation
environment found in report.cls.