[XeTeX] Ligature unavailable in Estrangelo Antioch

Gareth Hughes garzohugo at gmail.com
Sat May 16 20:25:28 CEST 2009

Adam Twardoch wrote:

> The situation you're describing clearly indicate that the three
> different ligatures should be placed in the Stylistic Alternates
> ("salt") feature using the GSUB LookupType 3 (one-to-one-out-of-many).
> In addition, you could create two Stylistic Sets ("ss01", "ss02") that
> provide GSUB LookupType 1 (one-to-one) substitutions for the three
> additional ligatures. Of course the lookups associated with those
> features should be defined after the lookups that define the "liga" or
> "rlig" features that turn on the ligatures.

This is what I'd thought. The font has alternative ligature glyphs, but
they are not accessible as sequences of Unicode characters. It would be
far better, from the point of view of a XeTeX user, to have these
alternatives accessible via salt or ssNN. However, I've never understood
how salt can cover one-to-many substitutions — how do I choose which
one? At least with ssNN sets, I can choose a particular set. Can I
choose multiple ssNN sets in XeTeX, and, if so, how are clashes dealt
with — last called set overrides, or highest-numbered lookup table?

Gareth.

--
Gareth Hughes

Department of Eastern Christianity