[XeTeX] Hyphenation in polyglossia - Latin and Greek

Yannis Haralambous yannis.haralambous at telecom-bretagne.eu
Sat May 16 13:03:30 CEST 2009

I know this may be out of the scope of this list, but ***PLEASE*** do
not talk about "monotonic" vs. "ancient" Greek.

Modern Greek is also written polytonically. It has always been written
polytonically. Of course, there have been some corrupted politicians
and some inscrupulous linguists who have done a reform in 1982, to the
(IMHO criminal) "monotonic system". But not all Greeks have accepted
that "reform" and there is still a community of people, publishers,
institutions, who write **modern** Greek polytonically, as it always
has been written.

The slightest respect to that community would be to talk about
"monotonic" and "polytonic" Greek, since this is orthogonal to the
fact whether it is modern or ancient. (Some people outside Greece
there may not believe it, but, depending on their degree of
irresponsability, monotonists will write every kind of Greek without
accents...)

I'm fighting for years now for the re-introduction of the polytonic
system. For further information you are welcome to visit the Web site
of the Citizen's Movement for the Re-introduction of the Polytonic
System <http://www.polytoniko.gr/index.php?newlang=en>

If the "monotonic" vs. "ancient" terminology is part of MikTeX GUI, I
will write to Christian ad ask him to change it.

Thanks in advance

--
+
| Yannis Haralambous, Ph.D.      yannis.haralambous at telecom-
bretagne.eu |
| Directeur d'Études                      http://omega.enstb.org/
yannis |
|                                             Tel. +33
(0)2.29.00.14.27 |
|                                             Fax  +33
(0)2.29.00.12.82 |
| Département
Informatique                                              |
| Télécom
Bretagne                                                      |
| Technopôle de Brest Iroise, CS 83818, 29238 Brest Cedex 3,
France     |
| Coordonnées Google-Earth : 48°21'31.57"N
4°34'16.76"W                 |
+
                             ...pour distinguer l'extérieur d'un
aquarium,
                                            mieux vaut n'être pas
poisson

                            ...the ball I threw while playing in the
park
                                           has not yet reached the
ground

               Es gab eine Zeit, wo ich nur ungern über Schubert
sprechen,
            nur Nächtens den Bäumen und Sternen von ihm vorerzählen
mögen.