[XeTeX] Hyphenation in polyglossia - Latin and Greek

David Perry hospes.primus at verizon.net
Sat May 16 04:43:17 CEST 2009

I'm using polyglossia and have text in Latin, ancient Greek, and Hebrew
as well as modern languages.  Polyglossia is in fact being loaded
(Hebrew works correctly in right to left!) but I can't get hyphenation
in Latin or ancient Greek.  I'm using MiKTeX 2.7, and I see
"gloss-latin.ldf" and "gloss-greek.ldf" in the appropriate directory.
MiKTeX also includes Latin hypenation files (lahyph.tex and
xu-lahyph.tex.  What am I missing?  Portions of code below.

Thanks - David

ERROR MESSAGES:
Package polyglossia Warning: No hyphenation patterns were loaded for
Monotonic Greek
(polyglossia)                I will use the patterns loaded for
l at greekinstead
  on input line 326.

Package polyglossia Warning: No hyphenation patterns were loaded for
Ancient Greek
(polyglossia)                I will use the patterns loaded for
\l at greekinstead
  on input line 331.

) ("C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.7\tex\xelatex\polyglossia\gloss-latin.ldf"

Package polyglossia Warning: No hyphenation patterns were loaded for `latin'
(polyglossia)                I will use the patterns loaded for \language=0
(polyglossia)                instead on input line 6.

CODE:

\usepackage{polyglossia}
\setdefaultlanguage[variant=american]{english}
\setotherlanguage[variant=ancient,attic=true]{greek}
\setotherlanguages{latin,hebrew}

\begin{document}

\begin{greek}
Ἡροδότου Ἁλικαρνησσέος ἱστορίης ἀπόδεξις ἥδε, ὡς μήτε τὰ γενόμενα ἐξ
ἀνθρώπων τῷ χρόνῳ ἐξίτηλα γένηται, μήτε ἔργα μεγάλα τε καὶ θωμαστά, τὰ
μὲν Ἕλλησι τὰ δὲ βαρβάροισι ἀποδεχθέντα, ἀκλεᾶ γένηται, τά τε ἄλλα καὶ
δι᾽ ἣν αἰτίην ἐπολέμησαν ἀλλήλοισι.

\noindent 1 5 10 50 100 \\
\atticnumeral{1 5 10 50 100}
\end{greek}

\bigskip
\begin{latin}
1. quo usque tandem abutere, Catilina, patientia nostra? quam diu etiam
furor iste tuus nos eludet? quem ad finem sese effrenata iactabit

<a bunch more of Cicero>

\end{latin}

\end  {document}