[XeTeX] Differences between XeTeX on Mac and Windows

Yannis Haralambous yannis.haralambous at telecom-bretagne.eu
Thu May 14 21:41:05 CEST 2009

Hi, I'm new to this list so maybe my message is rubbish

I was doing a tutorial on LaTeX, and now I systematically do a demo of
xelatex, to show how nice it is for Arabic, Chinese, Greek, etc.

My demo on the Mac used the following code:

\documentclass{article}
\font\y="DecoType Naskh" at 24pt
\begin{document}
\yبِسْمِ اللّهِ الرَّحْمنِ الرَّحِيمِ

The result was perfect. The version of XeTeX was 3.141592-0.996.

Then one of the students downloaded XeTeX contained in latest MikTeX,
tried exactly the same code, and it didn't worked. He hat to add
"script=arab" to the font name (he used a Windows font called
"Traditional Arabic"), and \beginR...\endR commands to obtain the same
result as I did.

Is that normal?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers