[XeTeX] [tex-live] Three questions on XeTeX, TeXLive 2008, and Ubuntu

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Tue May 12 01:13:27 CEST 2009

Norbert Preining a écrit :
> On Mon, 11 May 2009, Nicolas Vaughan wrote:
>>    1. *Where do I tell XeTeX to find the fonts? *I created a .fonts
>>    directory, where I put all my OTFs. Buy I don't remember in which conf file
>>    I tell XeTeX to look for them. (In my previous installation all worked
>>    smoothly.)

Here on Debian squeeze, I just put my fonts in subdirectories of ~/.fonts and
run fc-cache, and it Just Works.

> You have to make them available to fontconfig, that is all. More I don't
> know about fontconfig.

Right, maybe the Ubuntu guys configured fontconfig so that ~/.fonts is no more
the right place, but anyway as soon as your font is listed by fc-list, it is
available to XeTeX.

>>    2. *How can I fool Ubuntu to acknowledge TL 2008 is installed?* With
>>    Ubuntu 8.10 I followed this instructions (
>>    http://weblog.elzevir.fr/2008/11/tex-live-2008-a-la-vanille-sur-debian-like/)
>>    for that (in particular, to install Kile without having to install TL 2007),
>>    but this isn't working at all with Ubuntu 9.04. I understand that Ubuntu
>>    switched to a new package
>
> You have to create equivs packages, or keep installed both.

The link precisely explains how to create an equivs package, and apparently it
doesn't work any more. (Obviously it works perfectly well here on my Debian
squeeze install.)

If Ubuntu changed things in their packages, it's probably better to ask on a
Ubuntu forum or mailing list. But I'm surprised, I really thought the texlive
packages in Ubuntu were the same as in Debian.

Manuel.