[XeTeX] Three questions on XeTeX, TeXLive 2008, and Ubuntu

Nicolas Vaughan nivaca at gmail.com
Mon May 11 18:35:34 CEST 2009

Hello,
I decided to move from Ubuntu 8.10 to Ubuntu 9.04. Apart from some video
problems, I've got problems with my TeXLive 2008 installation. I have the
following questions, I somebody my be so kind as to hint me with them:

   1. *Where do I tell XeTeX to find the fonts? *I created a .fonts
   directory, where I put all my OTFs. Buy I don't remember in which conf file
   I tell XeTeX to look for them. (In my previous installation all worked
   smoothly.)
   2. *How can I fool Ubuntu to acknowledge TL 2008 is installed?* With
   Ubuntu 8.10 I followed this instructions (
   http://weblog.elzevir.fr/2008/11/tex-live-2008-a-la-vanille-sur-debian-like/)
   for that (in particular, to install Kile without having to install TL 2007),
   but this isn't working at all with Ubuntu 9.04. I understand that Ubuntu
   switched to a new package
   3. Finally, does somebody know *why the Ubuntu repositories only
   distribute TexLive 2008*?! It's preposterous!

Thanks!
Best wishes!

Nicolas Vaughan