[XeTeX] fonts and fontspec (was: Newbie Question)

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Thu May 7 21:39:38 CEST 2009

On 7 May 2009, at 15:16, David Perry wrote:

> I am working on an article designed to help newcomers to XeTeX, in
> particular with fontspec and other font issues.  It is very close to
> being ready to post (probably this weekend).  I will mail the list
> when it's done.  It will include information about freely available
> fonts that contain OpenType features that people can try for
> themselves (mainly Junicode, Linux Libertine, and my own Cardo font;
> if anybody knows of others, please tell me about them).

There are several free fonts from SIL International, including Charis
SIL, Gentium Basic (NB: the main Gentium fonts do not yet have
OpenType features), and Andika Basic; all available via <http://scripts.sil.org/
 >.

The TeX Gyre fonts also include OpenType features, accessible if you
install them as standard fonts on your OS and load them via fontspec
(not via old-style LaTeX packages).