[XeTeX] Newbie Question

Peter Baker psb6m at virginia.edu
Thu May 7 19:16:35 CEST 2009

Paul Burkander wrote:
> The stumbling block now, as far as I can tell, is that I don't have
> Hoefler fonts, which I gather are on Macs typically.  I considered
> getting them, since they look nice, but they're almost $300!

Wow! Who'd have thought they'd be so expensive? Could you change the
font to something you have and compile again?
> My question broadly is, how best should fonts be managed, i.e.,
> acquired, and inventoried.  I don't even know what I have on my
> system! Despite having read my latex install documentation.  Is there
> a way to find out?  Is it worth buying a set of fonts - if so which
> set?

Thing is, XeTeX uses your system fonts, not the ones hidden away in your
TexLive installation directory. So anything you can do to manage or list
fonts on the system level will do. You can open a terminal and run
fc-list to get a raw listing of all the fonts on your system. You can
use the Gnome Character Map utility to get a look at what you've got.
You can install a number of Open Source fonts via Synaptic or whatever
you use as a package manager: Liberation, Libertine, DejaVu, Junicode,
etc. All these will be visible to XeTeX.

Peter