[XeTeX] Bad glyph positions with DejaVu Sans Mono and Courier New

Tomáš Janoušek tomi at nomi.cz
Fri May 1 23:32:06 CEST 2009

Hello,

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 10:14:12PM +0200, Tomáš Janoušek wrote:
> Still no clue what's wrong with DejaVu Sans Mono, but at least I have a
> working example of Courier New.

I experimented with this a little bit and found some clues:

If I open DejaVuSansMono.ttf in fontforge and convert it to .otf (change the
em-size and export as OpenType CFF), the .otf font works fine. This means I
have a working version of DejaVu Sans Mono:
    http://store.lisk.in/tmp/DejaVuSansMono.otf
    http://store.lisk.in/tmp/DejaVuSansMono-otf.sfd

If I take CourierStd.otf (as shipped with Acrobat Reader 9) and save it in
fontforge as .ttf, it behaves incorrectly. The .otf original works fine.

So far, fonts with CFF table in otfinfo -t work and fonts with glyf table
don't. However, there's still this Courier New from Vista which works just
fine, even if I reexport it in fontforge.

Is this an error of XeTeX, xdvipdfmx or something else? Ideas?

Thanks,
--
Tomáš Janoušek, a.k.a. Liskni_si, http://work.lisk.in/