[XeTeX] Newbie problem with \includegraphics and xelatex

Brian Passingham brian.passingham at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 31 15:04:14 CEST 2009

Hi there.

I'm sure I'm making an elementary error here somewhere, but I'm having
trouble getting PDF graphics included in a document.
This is a much stripped down version of the original document, but
should allow diagnosis of the problem:

\documentclass[10pt,a4paper]{article}
\usepackage[xetex,final]{graphicx}
\usepackage{fontspec,xunicode,fixltx2e}
\defaultfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text}
\setmainfont{TeX Gyre Pagella}
\graphicspath{.}
\begin{document}
Testing XeLaTeX --- Predictions for α-nonexistentamine :

\includegraphics[width=5cm]{plotivVEN.pdf}

That's all folks.

\end{document}

This "works" - the text is okay, and there are no error messages -
but produces an output PDF file with no graphic - just a gap.

Versions:
XeTeX 3.141592-0.996 (Web2C 7.5.6)
kpathsea version 3.5.6
xdvipdfmx-0.4

My guess is that I have a version mis-match, but I could do with some
pointers about how to resolve them (packages were installed by someone
else...).

Thanks in advance.
                           Brian Passingham