[XeTeX] Syriac kashideh OFF?

Fr. Michael Gilmary FrMichaelGilmary at MaroniteMonks.org
Mon Mar 30 19:49:08 CEST 2009

Jonathan Kew wrote:

>> %% code for Melthofonts = Syriac fonts
>> \setclass \A {0622,0623,0625,0627}
>>

> Hmm, do you actually use these with Syriac, or are they just Arabic/
> Persian leftovers?

Ahhh, certainly they are "leftovers" ... since I wasn't sure what I was
doing.

>> \setclass \R {0710,0715,0717,0718,0728,072A,072C}
>>

> I think you want to put U+0710 SYRIAC LETTER ALAPH into the class \A
> instead of \R. The reason for distinguishing \A from \R was exactly
> this: we don't want to introduce kashideh into the L-A pair.

Of course, you're suggestion is on the mark! So now I've got it. Thank
you, again, for your help.

Is there a way, nonetheless, to be able to "turn off" the kashideh on
the fly?

--
United in adoration of Jesus,

fr. michael gilmary, mma