[XeTeX] XeLatex + Unicode + Footnote issue

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Fri Mar 20 10:43:43 CET 2009

Am Fri, 20 Mar 2009 14:46:05 +0530 schrieb Sreenivasa Guttal:

> DONE! Attached all the files.
>
> It seems to work as you can see in pdf file.

Fine, I have notified the author of bigfoot. Perhaps he will find a
better solution.

You can now remove the \showthe\count@, and you can perhaps add a
small fix penalty, see below

> However, MakePerPage (which is supposed to start the footnote number from 1
> on every page doesn't work).

- Run your document at least twice
- Try if it persits if you remove the \begin{sanscrit}-Environment.
- If yes try to make an example which use only english.

> Appreciate if you can provide some insight into the overall problem.

bigfoot is inserting a \penalty after each footnote text. The value
of the penalty depends on the font, it gets smaller (more negative)
for large fonts. When the value reached -510 this forced a
linebreak. Removing the penalty or using a fix value like -300 avoid
this problem. But as I don't now why bigfoot use a font related
penalty I don't know if it is a good solution to the problem.

 \count@\numexpr((#6)-(#5))*\dimen@/\p at +(#5)\relax
  \showthe\count@
  \xdef\FN at vfound{\the\dimexpr\FN at vfound+\dimen@}%
  \ifnum\count@>-\@M
   %\penalty\count@
   \penalty-300
   %\penalty-510
    \hskip\glueexpr -\parfillskip+1em minus 0.5em\relax
  \else

--
Ulrike Fischer