[XeTeX] cannot get Hoefler text to work with XeTeX

Fr. Michael Gilmary FrMichaelGilmary at MaroniteMonks.org
Thu Mar 19 14:31:52 CET 2009

Herbert Schulz wrote:

> Howdy,

Howdy!

> At least for the curly `e's, etc. I've used
>
> \usepackage{xltxtra}
> \defaultfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text}
> \setromanfont
> [Scale=1.05,ItalicFeatures={Contextuals={NoLineFinal,NoLineInitial}}]
> {Hoefler Text}
>
> with success.

Yes ... it works! Not only for the final e, but also for final n, m, t,
etc... as well as the *word* initial w which occurs *after* punctuation
(like a comma). Curious.

And thanks to Will R. as well, although I gave up on that 'solution'
about 2 years ago! Nevertheless, it seems that with this version of
Hoefler that we have here, the lining numbers will have to be added with
GIDs. Also, the option Alex gave [Fractions=On] only gave me another
warning that it's not available. I don't see fraction glyphs for this
font ... unless they're constructed in some way. But that's no crisis,
at least for me, since typesetting math isn't my bag.

Thanks to all.

--
United in adoration of Jesus,

fr. michael gilmary, mma