[XeTeX] XeLatex + Unicode + Footnote issue

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Thu Mar 19 09:45:11 CET 2009

Hello

I haven't been following this thread closely, but if the task in hand is creation of a critical edition, the Edmac package may serve your needs.  It allows several layers of footnotes (up to five by default, I think, though more can be added), and each one can be formatted differently:  I have used run-on app. crit. style in conjunction with two-column editorial footnotes and full-width original footnotes, each with a different cueing system (* etc. for authorial notes, superior italic letters for app. crit. [but line-numbers can be used too if one doesn't want to clutter up the text with cues], normal superscript numbers for editorial notes).  Edmac's system of automatically extracting the lemma from the text and putting it in the app. crit. is a little tortuous, I find, so I have always provided the lemmata myself within the app. crit. note - but the package itself has proved robust, both in old EmTeX and now in XeTeX (I haven't used LaTeX varieties though have often been tempted!).

When I last looked at Bigfoot, it seemed to provide a great deal of extra functionality, but if you don't require all that, Edmac might work.  You do need to read the documentation with some care (though nowadays I tend to copy and adapt macros that I've used in earlier work, so I'm rather hazy myself about the finer points).

John