[XeTeX] Sanskrit hyphenation with XeLatex

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 16 09:10:14 CET 2009

On 16 Mar 2009, at 07:48, Sreenivasa Guttal wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 3:25 PM, Sreenivasa Guttal <sreenivasa.guttal at gmail.com
> > wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 1:32 PM, Yves Codet <ycodet at club-
> internet.fr> wrote:
> Sr
> Another observation.
> When there \footnote is preceding a word (without space), that word
> does not get hyphenated.
>

> I wanted to know if there is a solution to the above mentioned issue.
> i.e if \footnote precedes a word without space, the following word
> does not get hyphenated.

This is an idiosyncrasy of how TeX decides which words to try
hyphenating; see The TeXbook, p454, paragraph 2 (beginning "TeX looks
for potentially hyphenatable words by searching ahead from each glue
item that is not in a math formula.")

The TeXbook also contains a solution (mentioned as part of the hanging
punctuation example): look up \allowhyphens.