[XeTeX] Colored Arabic in Tables

Tilman Hannemann tilmanh at uni-bremen.de
Wed Mar 11 16:40:52 CET 2009

Salut François,

Am 11.03.2009 um 15:40 schrieb François Charette:

> It is thus more likely that tabularx
> interacts with font mappings in a subtle way which I have not yet
> investigated.

Which is a strange thing, as I thought it would be limited to the
behavior of hboxes and footnotes only – I have seen redefinitions of
catcode in the style file, but they are enclosed inside a group. But
I must admit that I am not an expert in analyzing style files...

> There is an easy way to circumvent this though: simply omit
> [fullvoc] in
> the table and manually quote the vowels:
>
>  \begin{tabularx}{\linewidth}{X}
>     \textarab{\colorred{h"a}}\\
>  \end{tabularx}
>
> This produces the expected result.

Looks fine here. However, considering the amount of text, this will
be a quite tedious process and a possible source of errors. It would
be great to find a more handsome approach.

> (BTW if you use arabxetex for arabic then you probably don't need
> polyglossia.)

I have a lot of German text as well, so I depend on the multilingual
faculties of polyglossia. And in my example, I just wanted to show
that this interaction is not limited to the way ArabXeTeX handles the
vocals. The third h is written in plain utf without any accent,
however, you get a sukkun above it.

Yours, Tilman