[XeTeX] Colored Arabic in Tables

Tilman Hannemann tilmanh at uni-bremen.de
Tue Mar 10 18:59:12 CET 2009

Hello,

I am working on rather complex project that involves mixed Arabic and
German text, tables, textboxes (with TikZ), and colored parts inside
the Arabic text. So far, colored Arabic looks really fine thanks to
the approach described in the bidi documentation. However, I
discovered that tabularx causes some unexpected problems as I wanted
to switch the vocalization modes of ArabXeTeX. (There might be
another problem with failing color definitions as well, but in that
case, I still have to figure out the culprit.) The minimal example
below shows how changing the color inside the tabularx environment
affects the subsequent behavior of ArabXeTeX and of Arabic font
mapping in general: In both cases, there should be no sukkun above
the ha', and frankly, I haven't the faintest idea of what is going
here. So, I would be glad if anyone could lead me in the right
direction...

Tilman

---

\documentclass{scrartcl}
\usepackage{xltxtra}
\defaultfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text}
\newfontfamily{\arabicfont}[Script=Arabic,Scale=1.7]{Scheherazade}
\usepackage{polyglossia}
\setdefaultlanguage{arabic}
\usepackage{arabxetex}
\usepackage{tabularx}
\newcommand{\colorred}[1]{{\addfontfeature{Color=FF00FF}#1}}

\begin{document}

\begin{tabularx}{\linewidth}{X}
\textarab[fullvoc]{\colorred{ha}}\\
\end{tabularx}