[XeTeX] Sanskrit hyphenation with XeLatex

Yves Codet ycodet at club-internet.fr
Mon Mar 9 08:22:00 CET 2009

Hello.

Le 8 mars 09 à 12:18, Sreenivasa Guttal a écrit :

> I am trying to enable hyphenation for sanskrit reseach book using
> xelatex, but it does not see to work
>
> Here are my attempts.
>
> 1. Included polyglossia package and its dependecies.
> 2. Added sanhyph.tex, updated language.dat, re-crated xelatex.fmt etc.
>
> When I run xelatex it seems to recognize sanskrit hyphenation
> pattern loaded.
>
> Hyphenation is critical to my need and appreciate this groups help.

You need to tell Polyglossia in what language(s) your document is
written, for it to load the appropriate hyphenation patterns. Add
\setdefaultlanguage{sanskrit} to your preamble and your test file
should work.

sanhyph.tex is a pre-Polyglossia version, you do not need it; better
install the hyph-utf8 package, it includes hyph-sa.tex (an adapted
version of sanhyph.tex) which is automatically used by Polyglossia.

Best wishes,

Yves