[XeTeX] \sloppy or \tolerance with fontspec

Fr. Michael Gilmary FrMichaelGilmary at MaroniteMonks.org
Sat Mar 7 22:38:46 CET 2009

Jonathan Kew wrote:
> I don't think fontspec touches \tolerance. With an example like:
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage{fontspec}
> \setmainfont{Times New Roman}
> \usepackage{lipsum}
> \begin{document}
>
> \lipsum[4]
>
> \sloppy
> \lipsum[4]
>
> \end{document}
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>
> I see \sloppy having the expected effect (the first paragraph has an
> overfull hbbox; the second doesn't, but has some worse spacing).
> Perhaps the particular combinations of text and fonts you were using
> just didn't happen to come out any different with changed \tolerance?

Hi John and Jonathan:

But a strange thing happens when you load: \usepackage[latin]{polyglossia}

All the spacing problems seem to disappear ... and the first paragraph
from your example doesn't look sloppy --- neither is there an "overfull
\hbox" message about it.

(Of course, everyone knows that lipsum isn't really latin ...).

Can you give /your/ example, John?

--
United in adoration of Jesus,

fr. michael gilmary, mma