[XeTeX] Patch: Add an entry for stemv

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 4 13:42:02 CET 2009

On 4 Mar 2009, at 12:17, Michiel Kamermans wrote:

> <<Well, some users in China asked me to write a patch for xetex, so I
> did so.. However, I agree with you that we should not do this in
> engine
> level. (and I think there is no need to do this in driver level
> either,
> since users can edit and fine tuning their fonts using any advanced
> font
> editing software.)>>
>
> Except that for commercial fonts (like those supplied 'for free' with
> microsoft of adobe products) doing so would be illegal...
> Adding it in at the driver level sounds like a pretty good idea
> (provided someone makes mention of this functionality in an obvious
> place =)

If we ship a default configuration that includes the settings for the
"widely used but ugly" fonts that were mentioned, then most users
won't even need to know it exists; it'll Just Work.

(But of course you're right, it needs to be described somewhere so
that advanced users who want to customize it for additional fonts will
know where to go....)