[XeTeX] Hypertarget preview in Skim

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Sat Jun 27 02:07:45 CEST 2009

Hi Peter,

On 26/06/2009, at 11:40 PM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I have a LaTeX document that is prepared to be compiled by pdfTeX
> or XɘTeX and give the same result. But it doesn't, in Skim. This
> PDF viewer in Mac OS X creates a preview of the internal
> hypertarget the hyperlink points to. With pdfTeX
> (3.1415926-1.40.9-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.7)) I get this:
>
> <pastedGraphic.tiff>
>
> and with XeTeX (3.1415926-2.2-0.999.6 (Web2C 7.5.7)) and xdvipdfmx
> (xdvipdfmx-0.7.3) I get a different view:
>
> <pastedGraphic.tiff>
>
> You can see that it's taken from approximately 1 cm too deep, the
> header line from pdfTeX still has its serifs in the view. (The
> horizontal choice seems better.)

The view that Skim shows you would be dependent upon
the position of the destination anchor that specifies
the hyperlink target.

The pictures that you present would then suggest that with
pdfTeX, the anchor is raised by 1cm or so, whereas with XeTeX
it just occurs on the baseline of the text constituting the
(sub)section heading.

You should be able to check this using other PDF viewers:
scale up to 300% or so, then click the hyperlink.
Does the window position the view of the target at the top
of the anchor text, or to its baseline?

  hyperref  has an option  'raiselinks'  to control this extra
vertical positioning. So try setting
             \hypersetup{raiselinks=true}
and see if that changes anything.

Note that driver files   hdvips.def   hdvipson.def   hvtexmrk.def
each have a line:    \def\Hy at raisedlink{}
which cancels any possible implementation of raising anchors.

Maybe you are not using the  hdvipdfm.def  driver, but only
the default of  hdvips.def . What does your .log file tell you
about the driver loaded by  hyperref ?

> --
> Greetings
>
>   Pete