[XeTeX] Hyphenation questions

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 26 14:03:46 CEST 2009

On 26 Jun 2009, at 12:40, Vadim Radionov wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a couple of questions about hyphenation.
>
> First of all, am I wrong or XeTeX does not show possible hyphenation
> points in output when typesetting with fonts other than default?
> (I'm missing it.)

You are correct. This is because it does not retain the unused
hyphenation points in the paragraph, because they would disrupt the
application of OpenType features such as contextual forms, ligatures,
or kerning.

I realize it can be helpful to see what hyphenations were considered,
but currently the only way to find this out would be via the
\tracingparagraphs output, I think -- which is hardly convenient for
casual use!

For the same reason, the plain TeX \showhyphens macro will not work
when xetex is using an opentype font. I think the xltxtra package
provides a replacement macro, IIRC.

> Second.  Can I add hyphenation with \hyphenaton{so-me-th-ing} in
> preamble, as in TeX?

Yes.

> Third (not hyphenation).  How does XeTeX determine the normal space,
> shrink and stretch?

It uses the width of the space character in the font as the normal
space (\fontdimen2) and then sets the stretch and shrink values
(fontdimens 3 and 4) to 50% and 33% of this. You are free to adjust
them after loading the font, if you wish to fine-tune the spacing/
justification behavior. (Note that the fontspec package includes
support for this, if you're using xelatex.)

> And fourth. Is it OK to change the catcode of certain unicode symbol?

Yes.