[XeTeX] Problem getting ffi ligature (Pander)

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Thu Jun 25 15:42:41 CEST 2009

Am 25.06.2009 um 13:38 schrieb Gareth Hughes:

> In FontForge, load TeX Gyre Termes-Regular

I've done so, and could see that the fonts in TeX Live 2007 (backup)
have version 1.011 and in TL 2008 1.103. The latter fonts have much
more lookup tables, and also liga tables:

  9:	10:  	12:	13:
f_f	f_i  	f_i	f_k
f_l	f_f_i	f_f_i	f_i
f_f_l		I_J	f_f_i
		i_j

The sorting in the tables changes when I select Unicode or alphabetic
in FontForge. I have no idea what this all means, but for me, as for
Pander, the ligatures test works in TeX Live 2008. *When I use this:*

	\documentclass[12pt]{report}
	\usepackage{fontspec}%, xunicode, xltxtra}
	\fontspec{TeX Gyre Termes}
	\begin{document}

	\fontspec[LetterSpace=25]{Hoefler Text} Ghazālī lālīlū lalilula l
\=al\=il\=ul\=a

	\addfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text}\addfontfeatures{Ligatures=Common}
	IJ ff ffi ffl fi fk fl ij

	\end{document}

It uses Hoefler and CM ... Removing the Hoefler line I get:

	Package fontspec Warning:
	    \addfontfeature(s) ignored;
	    it cannot be used with a font that wasn't selected by fontspec.
	This warning occured on input line 12.

	Package fontspec Warning:
	    \addfontfeature(s) ignored;
	    it cannot be used with a font that wasn't selected by fontspec.
	This warning occured on input line 12.

and the font is Latin Modern. Using

	\documentclass[12pt]{report}
	\usepackage{fontspec}%, xunicode, xltxtra}
	\setmainfont{TeX Gyre Termes}
	\thispagestyle{empty}
	\begin{document}

	\addfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text}\addfontfeatures{Ligatures=Common}IJ
	ff ffi ffl fi fk fl ij
	\end{document}

Termes is used – but *no* ffi ligature (and IJ, ij, and fk also
don't look like ligatures). Trying to edit as Gareth described
creates, or reveals, many problems in the font – I'm leaving it as
amateurs playground!

--
Greetings

   Pete

We have to expect it, otherwise we would be surprised.