[XeTeX] About Chinese in XeTeX

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 24 18:31:48 CEST 2009

Yes. There's an old sample file at <http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/render_download.php?site_id=nrsi&format=file&media_id=xetex_chinese_sample&filename=xetex_chinese_sample.zip
 > that you might find helpful. The zip file contains both source and
PDF, so you can see the input and the result.

(Note that this was created on a Mac, so if you're on a different
platform you'd need to change the font names to something you have
available in order to re-typeset it.)

> How do you break the line ?

The simplest starting point is to include

   \XeTeXlinebreaklocale "zh"
   \XeTeXinterchartokenstate = 1

at the beginning of your document.

> And is there anything that we should pay attention to when we deal
> with the Chinese?

For a start, make sure your text is Unicode (although it's possible to
use other encodings such as Big5, etc., life will be MUCH simpler if
you use Unicode throughout). And be sure to select fonts that include
the characters you need; xetex will not magically enable Computer
Modern to print Chinese characters!

For more advanced handling of character spacing and other issues, you
could look at the zhspacing package (see http://code.google.com/p/zhspacing/)
  and/or xeCJK (on CTAN, I believe, or ask Google for more details).
Oh, I just found http://code.google.com/p/ctex-kit/ which also seems
to be a source for these kinds of packages.

I expect some of the Chinese users here will give you further guidance
if needed.